[EDLING:576] Re: 'Sign language classes are on the rise'

Miriam E Ebsworth mee1 at NYU.EDU
Mon Jan 24 20:26:21 UTC 2005

Dear Shannon and group,

>>From my somewhat limited perspective ASL, despite the "A" for American
qualifies as a separate language associated with a separate culture.
Although it lacks traditional phonology, it has distinct syntax,
semantics, lexicon, and also have physical/spatial/movement
dimensions. As most of you are probably aware,unlike signed English,
ASL is NOT based on any variety of English- in fact I think it was
developed from French sign language and is based on English mostly
when finger spelling is required. First language development of ASL
for deaf children mirrors first language development for other L1's.

For many years at NYU we had a program for teaching the deaf, and I
was fortunate enough to take an introductory class in ASL and serve on
some dissertation and research committees. However, to my dismay, when
we had bilingual ed federal fellowships, ASL and English were not
accepted as "bilingual."

I'd like to read other perspectives on this.

Cheers,
Miriam

Miriam Eisenstein Ebsworth, Ph.D.
<MEE1 at nyu.edu>
Director of Doctoral Programs in Multilingual Multicultural Studies
New York University