[EDLING:599] Re: ESL in American High Schools

Castellon, Martha Inez mcastel at STANFORD.EDU
Wed Jan 26 21:55:46 UTC 2005

Sorry about that.  The term ELL stands for English language learners.  So you are correct.  We are looking for books and journal articles that address the teaching of English as a Second Language to American high school students.  Thanks so much for inquiring.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: owner-edling at ccat.sas.upenn.edu on behalf of Richard Hudson
	Sent: Wed 1/26/2005 12:50 PM
	To: edling at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
	Subject: [EDLING:596] Re: ESL in American High Schools

	Dear Martha,
	Could you explain ESL and ELL? Is this for L2 learners of English? Acronyms don't translate easily across the Atlantic, I'm afraid.
	    Dick

	Castellon, Martha Inez wrote:

		Dear Friends,

		I am writing to solicit any references you might have with respect to the teaching of ESL (or English language development) at the high school level.  I am currently working on a project at Stanford that is developing online teacher professional development materials for teachers of high school ELLs.  Any references that you can provide (journal articles, textbooks, or otherwise) are much appreciated.

		Best,
		Martha Castellon

	--
	Richard Hudson, FBA,