[EDLING:600] Re: ESL in American High Schools

Castellon, Martha Inez mcastel at STANFORD.EDU
Wed Jan 26 22:32:29 UTC 2005

We are most interested in finding resources that deal with methodology for teaching high-school aged English language learners who are at the beginning stages of English proficiency.  What are the special challenges presented by teaching English to adolescent  immigrants to the U.S. who may or may not be literate in their first language?  How can we best address these challenges in terms of language instruction in reading, writing, speaking, and listening?
Martha

	-----Original Message-----
	From: owner-edling at ccat.sas.upenn.edu on behalf of Tommy McDonell
	Sent: Wed 1/26/2005 1:13 PM
	To: edling at ccat.sas.upenn.edu
	Subject: [EDLING:598] Re: ESL in American High Schools

	Hi. English as a Second Language and English Language Learners. For the most part these days, politically correct people use ELL for the students. ESL for classes or TESOL for teaching.

	As for references in high school ESL/ELL, it would be good to be more specific. There are thousands of articles!

	Tommy
	Tommy B. McDonell
	Doctoral Candidate, Steinhardt School of Education
	tbr202 at nyu.edu
	Adjunct, Marymount Manhattan College
	Adjunct, City College of New York-Graduate Education

	H: 212-929-6768, before 10PM
	F: 212-929-1129