[EDLING:621] Re: Sapir-Whorf

Sean McGrew mcgrew at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Mon Jan 31 14:49:52 UTC 2005

Beyond one-liners in intro textbooks, I don't know of any recent
references off-hand. However, if you're doing anything on that, you
absolutely should read Dell Hymes' essay, "Linguistic Method in
Ethnography" from 1970 or so; that's the first place I got a sense of
Boas, Sapir, and Whorf in context of their life work instead of just in
connection with the language-thought hypothesis. Somewhere around the
same time there's a collection of essays in memory of Sapir that might
be worth reading. I hope that helps,

-Sean

Sean McGrew
Graduate School of Education