[EDLING:694] Re: CFP: Teaching Feminist Perspectives in the Classroom:Lessons from Zimbabwe

Chad Bramble chadbramble at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 15 22:27:08 UTC 2005

Mr. Mhlahlo,

I would be very interested in reading your paper,
should you choose to write it.  When I taught Enlgish
Literature in the classroom, and taught some of the
authors that you mention, most of my 'A' Level
students were girls (7 of 8) while the only 'O' level
students who said they enjoyed the literature were
girls.  My discomfort was often eveident in the class,
whether it was discussing Western feminist (or just
plain humanist) ideas or when the girls would kneel to
give me something.

Chad Bramble

--- corwin mhlahlo <corwinluthuli at yahoo.com> wrote:
> How does one teach feminism or from a feminist
> perspective in a patriarchical,African society as
> Zimbabwe, where until recently the hold of male
> -chauvanism and hegemony ran deep and women were and
> are still considered second class citizens?Indeed in
> a nation where the concepts of gender and feminism
> are misconceptions awaiting elucidation.This paper
> seeks to explore the teaching of Feminist
> Perspectives in the context of the Zimbabwean
> classsroom and from the experiences of black male
> and female high school teachers who through teaching
> strategies such as empathy,role-play,role modelling
> and the application of theories of feminism and
> gender amongst others,have succeeded in teaching
> from feminist perspectives both Afrocentic and
> Eurocentric literary works such as Jane
> Austen,Charlotte Bronte,Bessie Head,Chenjerai
> Hove,Dambudzo Marechera,Alice Walker,Mariama
> Ba,Tsitsi Dangarembga and Yvonne Vera, without
> making the male students in the class feel feminism
> is only about women!
>   and
>  women writers.
>
> "Francis M. Hult" <fmhult at dolphin.upenn.edu> wrote:
> Teaching Feminist Perspectives in the Classroom
>
> Papers sought for the 2005 Rocky Mountain Modern
> Language Association
> Conference, held October 20-22, Coeur d'Alene,
> Idaho.
>
> Paper proposals on the topic of feminist pedegogy,
> or feminism in the
> classroom, are due to the session chair no later
> than March 15.
> (mmccarro at utk.edu) You will be notified of the
> chair's decision by April 1.
>
> Meredith McCarroll, 2916 Barton St., Knoxville, TN
> 37917; mmccarro at utk.edu

>  Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources site!

We never know how high we are
Till we are asked to rise
--E. Dickinson