[EDLING:786] Re: Multiling/Multicult teaching position summer 2 '05

Bruce Evans evansb at SOU.EDU
Tue May 3 01:31:59 UTC 2005

Margaret,

Do you think you could use a UPenn GSE doctoral candidate exiled in Oregon?  I'm free during the last two weeks of June and I am currently teaching a course I think is similar to the CLD 555 Special Issues, Module 1 School-Home-Community course.  Ours course at Southern Oregon University is ED 548 - Family, Culture and Community Involvement.  This is the third spring that I have taught it.  I teach First and Second Language Acquisition July 5 - 15 and also lead a group in the construction of their professional portfolio for the ESL/Bilingual Education teaching endorsement.

I have places to stay in Philadelphia and could use some library time at UPenn.  I'm sure the pay would conver my flight to and from the west coast.

What do you think?

Bruce Evans

>>> mvnaerss at sas.upenn.edu 05/02/05 10:40 AM >>>
Just on the outside chance that a few of you might have some summer teaching time left--

Immaculata University (suburbs of Philadelphia, beyond Paoli, but well before the Exton Mall), College of Graduate Studies, Cultural & Linguistic Diversity  Program needs an instructor for Summer 2.  Car transportation is necessary.

Since I've worked from time to time at Penn, including at the GSE, and have found several doctoral students to be very good instructors here at Immaculata University, I'm coming back to GSE for this search. I know it is short notice, but in case one of you is interested in building up some graduate teaching experience for your CV/ portfolio, I'd like to hear from you.  Here are the details.

CLD 546 Multicultural/ Multilingual Issues,  July 6 - August 15  4:40-7:10  (Mondays/ Wednesdays)

Preferred background some experience/ training/ interest in multicultural studies and ideas on how to apply it in a classroom (**K-12 and higher).

This was Mihyon Jeon's course--as most of you know she's passed her Ph.D. dissertation defense and has a new position in Canada at York University. I'm happy for her, but sad to lose her teaching contributions.

She taught the course two summers and documented her course well so you wouldn't be starting from scratch.

For another one-credit course (that Mihyon also taught), we 're looking for someone with experience in home-school-community relations for ESL K-12 populations, and ESL teaching at that level.

CLD 555 Special Issues, Module 1 School-Home-Community,  June 24, June 27, 9-3 with one hour for lunch.

Whoever teaches this short, intense module (10 hours) would be expected to use the resources/ syllabus that Mihyon developed, but of course use your own experiences as points of reference. Each of our one credit modules has a narrowly defined focus.

You can also get in touch with other Penn folks who have taught out here at Immaculata (Jenn Freeman, David Johnson, Susan Caesar) to check out the situation from their perspective. The pay is definitely not as high as at GSE...just want to get that up front.  But the campus is safe and beautiful, and the graduate school is most supportive.

My home phone is 610 688-4240. A summary CV would also be needed, but we can talk first.

Margaret van Naerssen

Coordinator, Cultural & Linguistic Diversity

College of Graduate Studies, Immaculata University

Immaculata (next to Malvern), PA

Summer I/ 2 combined session

CLD 555 Special Issues, Module 1 School-Home-Community,  June 24, June 27,

                                     Module 2 Language Across the Curriculum, June 24 and June 27

                                     Module 3 Individualizing Instruction, July 6, July 7

                                     All will be held  9 a.m. - 3 p.m.

CLD 534 Teaching English as a Second Language, July 11-August 10 1-4 p.m.