[EDLING:1026] Re: Korean phonetic inventory question

Hyun-S Kang hyunkang at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Tue Oct 4 17:37:42 UTC 2005

Hi Laura,

Good to hear from you.  Here are references that show *official evidence* that
the theta is not included in the Korean inventory:

Homin Sohn, 1999 (reprinted 2001). The Korean Language. Cambridge , England :
Cambridge University Press. i-xii + pp. 445.

He is one of the most prominent descriptive linguists in the field of Korean
linguistics.  He's teaching at the U of HI, Manoa as a full professor.

Miho Choo and William O'Grady, The Sounds of Korean: A Pronunciation Guide
(Honolulu: University of Hawai‘i Press, 2003.

O'Grady is a syntactician who also works on language acquisition.  He has some
reputation as a nativist without UG in lang acquisition.

Choo is teaching Korean at the U of TX, Austin, I heard.

Hope this helps.  Btw, how's your dissertation coming?  Are you teaching for
the School district this semester as well?  Hope things are more organized
there, though.

Take care and talk soon,
Hyun-Sook

------
Hyun-Sook Kang
Ph.D. candidate in Educational Linguistics
Graduate School of Education
University of Pennsylvania
Homepage: http://dolphin.upenn.edu/~hyunkang

Quoting sicola at dolphin.upenn.edu:

 Can anyone refer me to a source that has a chart or summary of the Korean
 phonetic inventory, specifically consonants? Most specifically I
 need "official evidence" that the theta is not included therein (or that it
 is, if I'm wrong.)

 Thanks,
 Laura