[EDLING:1014] Re: sociolinguistics and Middle Eastern

Seran Aktuna saktuna at SIUE.EDU
Fri Sep 30 01:44:15 UTC 2005

Felicia,

     You might want to google Zohreh Eslami Rasekh from Texas A & M. She has
been working on politeness in Persian vs. American English, and if I
remember correctly, she recently had an article on this topic appear in
print - I am sorry I cannot remember the journal title but here is her
e-mail: zrasekh at coe.tamu.edu.  Another source you can check out is S. Gass
and J. Neu (Eds.) Speech acts across cultures, that has a couple of chapters
on speech act use in Egyptian Arabic that also touch on politeness. Finally,
if you consider Turkish an example of Middle Eastern languages, you can look
at my co-written chapter on "Linguistics of power and politeness in Turkish:
Revelations from speech acts" in Linguistic Politeness Across Boundaries:
The case of Greek and Turkish, A. Bayraktaroglu & M. Sifianau (Eds.), John
Benjamins, Amsterdam, 2001, 75-104. I can send you a hardcopy via snail
mail.

Hope these help.

Seran Dogancay-Aktuna
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville