[EDLING:1418] Silencing Teachers in an Era of Scripted Reading

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Wed Apr 5 03:26:45 UTC 2006

Rethinking Schools Online

Silencing Teachers in an Era of Scripted Reading

By Elizabeth Jaeger

"I have been told by the district that I will be transferred to another school
effective Monday. I am very sad to be leaving you, but you are strong students
and I know you will be successful. I have always taught you to stand up for
what you believe in, and sometimes when you do that, there will be
unhappiness. But in the end, you have to do what you feel is right. I will
think about you every day and wish you all the best."

I never would have imagined having to speak those words, yet there I was,
standing in front of my class while the principal looking on silently. I had
been forced out of the school where I had worked enthusiastically for more
than five years because I had challenged required instructional practices that
I believe interfered with teaching and learning.

Serving nearly 1,000 students, Downer is the largest elementary school in the
West Contra Costa Unified School District, north and east of San Francisco.
Its students are predominantly poor, non-native English speaking Latino
children. I had been hired to work with teachers and students in an effort to
increase achievement in reading and writing. Having provided after-school
staff development the previous year, I was well known by the faculty. There
was no get-to-know-you period; we hit the ground running. In my first two
years we charted a long list of accomplishments. We developed a list of
English Language Arts standards that we hoped all 6th graders would meet; an
accompanying curriculum to promote these standards beginning in 4th grade; a
Reading Block program in which we grouped upper graders by reading level and
read short novels and related articles; a Challenge Class for students
designated as gifted and talented; and Literacy Academy classes for struggling
readers. These programs were based on several principles: that print knowledge
and understanding of text develop in tandem, that teachers can adjust
instruction to provide more support for less proficient learners, and that
literacy is constructed in social settings rather than in teacher-imposed
isolation.

Read the full story here
http://www.rethinkingschools.org/archive/20_03/sile203.shtml