[EDLING:1429] Writing in the Academic Style

Martin Edwardes martin.edwardes at BTOPENWORLD.COM
Thu Apr 6 22:19:45 UTC 2006

I am gathering information about the academic style of writing, and I would
be grateful if you could take a few minutes to answer a few questions about
the subject. The responses will be treated confidentially, and there will be
no attribution of the answers in published statistics.

The survey should take only a few minutes to complete, although more
exhaustive answers are welcomed.
1. Do you think that there is a specific way of writing for academic
purposes? Yes/No

2. What do you see as the major single feature of academic writing that
makes it different to other forms of writing?

3. What do you see as the major single advantage of having a specific style
for academic writing?

4. Do you think there are any disadvantages?

5. At your institution, is there a conversion course or booklet to teach
students how to write in an academic style (select one):
Yes, a booklet / Yes, a course / Yes, booklet and course / I don't know of
any conversion training at my institution

6. What is your subject area?

Thanks for your help,

Martin Edwardes
http://www.btinternet.com/~martin.edwardes/