[EDLING:1440] Bangla medium versus English medium

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Sun Apr 9 18:07:39 UTC 2006

The Financial Express

Opinion

Bangla medium versus English medium

Nahid Kaisar Toma
4/9/2006

SO many hymns have been dedicated to the cause of the 'necessity of learning
English' that to say more will be a waste of time on my part. Nor can I afford
to dismiss the 'grand' role the language plays in our public, social,
economic, national and the most influential international sphere.
My concern is to discuss how successful English medium education is for
Bangladeshi students and what does an English medium education offer which
Bangla medium students miss. Is English, as a medium, stronger than Bangla for
Bangladeshi students? I don't think so. For a Bangladeshi student (I mean born
and bred in Bangladesh) no language, I emphasise, no language but Bangla can
be the most successful media for education.

The full story is available here:

http://www.financialexpress-bd.com/index3.asp?
cnd=4/9/2006&section_id=10&newsid=21269&spcl=yes