[EDLING:1441] Re: Writing in the Academic Style

Aaron Sikes aaron.sikes at MIIS.EDU
Mon Apr 10 00:35:12 UTC 2006

Hi,
I'd be glad to help with your research.

1. Do you think that there is a specific way of writing for academic
purposes? Yes/No

Yes.

2. What do you see as the major single feature of academic writing that
makes it different to other forms of writing?

Academic writing is characterized by a formal register. Euphamistic
phrases replace colloquialisms and "relaxed" or "ungrammatical" phrasing
common to spoken texts.

3. What do you see as the major single advantage of having a specific style
for academic writing?

Ideally, academic writing is specific to the extreme, leaving very little
room for misunderstanding.

4. Do you think there are any disadvantages?

Yes, in striving to be specific, academic writing often comes up against
the need to "eschew with obfuscation." Sometimes plain old everyday
language is better suited for the job.

5. At your institution, is there a conversion course or booklet to teach
students how to write in an academic style (select one):
Yes, a booklet / Yes, a course / Yes, booklet and course / I don't know of
any conversion training at my institution

We have a course in the teaching of writing offered in my MA program, and
EAPP classes for international students needing to improve their ability
with English. I'm not sure if these qualify as "conversion" training.

6. What is your subject area?

TESOL

Cheers,

Aaron

Aaron J. Sikes
MA TESOL Candidate, 2006
Monterey Institute of International Studies
aaron.sikes at miis.edu
(831) 233-2116