[EDLING:1483] India: Campaign to encourage studies in local language

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Thu Apr 20 23:09:49 UTC 2006

The Times of India

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1495142.cms

Campaign to encourage studies in local language

RAJKOT: "You love your children. But when you put them in English medium
school, you ruin their life. Matter is serious." This is an SMS doing rounds
in Saurashtra and several parts of Gujarat.

This is part of a campaign initiated by a group of people to create awareness
about imparting primary education in local language rather than in English
language.

The campaign that began a year ago, seems to be gaining momentum with people
from Bardoli and Saurashtra launching a media campaign to warn parents against
enrolling their children in schools where the medium of teaching is not same
as their mother tongue.

Dr Harshad Pandit, who took up the campaign in Saurashtra and Ahmedabad
says, "Putting a child in a medium other than his mother tongue affects his
grasping power.

We are not against English medium or the language, but we firmly believe that,
at least up to class V or VI, the child should be taught in the language that
he speaks at home.

This would increases his grasping power and also improve his learning
abilities." Pandit, a retired joint director of animal husbandry department
says, "I have seen children ruining their life by studying in English medium.

Parents are forced to send them for extra tuition. The child spends his whole
day shuttling between school and the tuition classes, with very little time
for play."

Harshad Shah, who initiated the campaign in Bardoli says, "Research has proved
that teaching a child in his mother tongue increases the child's ability to
learn. Hence, we decided to take up this campaign."

He said that in Gujarat if we compare the number of students appearing for SSC
and HSC examination, it would be clear that the number of students studying in
a medium same as their mother tongue is more than those studying in English
medium.

Gopal Desai, an industrialist from Saurashtra says, "We have paid for over
10,000 advertisement and have even got posters and pamphlets made for the
campaign.

Gandhiji, in one of his books — Khari Kelavani, has emphasised the need for
education in one's own mother tongue. Vinobha Bhave, in his book — Sikhsan
Vichar, has echoed similar feeling as Gandhiji.

Bhave was one person who knew over 22 languages." Desai has prepared a CD on
the issue and made 5,000 copies of it for the campaign.