[EDLING:1796] Job Announcement: Position on Large Scale Research Study

Harold F. Schiffman haroldfs at CCAT.SAS.UPENN.EDU
Thu Aug 24 13:01:46 UTC 2006

Job Announcement: Position on Large Scale Research Study

Dear Faculty, Graduate Students and Fellow Linguists,

Please take the time to read, reply and/or post the following job announcement.

Thank you.

Adult Literacy Tutor-Researchers As a part of a study of the Relative
Effectiveness of Adult Literacy interventions research study lead by
researchers in the Research and Development division at the Educational
Testing Service, we are seeking part time adult literacy tutors (up to 20
hours per week) to become part of our literacy research team.  Tutors will
participate in a training workshop and follow up meetings to prepare to
teach one of three literacy interventions to adult literacy and English
language learners.  Tutors will then administer one intervention in one on
one tutoring sessions, meeting each student for one hour and fifteen
minutes, three times a week.  Tutoring cycles will last approximately 45
to 60 instructional sessions with each participant.  All tutoring will
take place at various literacy locations in the Philadelphia area.
Tutors will be responsible for preparing for tutoring sessions based on
the instructional program guide and scripts of each intervention,
monitoring student progress, and keeping daily logs of activities. All
tutoring resources and materials for tutoring will be supplied.  Tutors
will also be trained and responsible for administering short, computer
administered reading assessments at regular intervals with adult learners.
Applicants must have a degree from an accredited college or university in
education, psychology, linguistics or a related field. Experience in
literacy tutoring or teaching preferred. Excellent command of the English
language and comfort with technology required.  Flexible schedules and an
ability to travel to various local teaching sites preferred.  This job is
being offered as a part time position, with an opportunity for full time
work in the future.

To apply, please send a cover letter for the position, resume, and list of
at least three professional references to Dr. Jane Shore at
jshore at ets.org. Only those applicants who submit ALL required materials
will be eligible for consideration.

Please note: Contracts for this reading research project run for at least
twelve months or more.  We are looking for someone to become a part of the
research team.  We regret that we are not able to respond to each resume
received.  Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.

Salary is based on an hourly rate of pay, and will be commensurate with
background and experience.

Thank you.

Jane R. Shore, Ed.D
Associate Research Scientist
Educational Testing Service
Rosedale Road, MS 04-R
Princeton, NJ 08541
jshore at ets.org

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged or confidential information.
It is solely for use by the individual for whom it is intended, even if addressed incorrectly.
If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender; do not disclose, copy, distribute,
or take any action in reliance on the contents of this information; and delete it from
your system. Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited.

Thank you for your compliance.