[EDLING:2197] Language barrier a dream-blocker

Francis Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Tue Dec 19 15:17:38 UTC 2006

The following adn.com article was sent by:

    Francis Hult (fmhult at dolphin.upenn.edu)

And Francis Hult had this to say:

Anchorage Literacy Project: "The project once focused on
teaching people to read, but now 80 percent of clients want
to study English, said Lori Pickett, community development
director. The number of people looking for language classes,
like the number of immigrants making their homes in Anchorage,
increases every year."

Language barrier a dream-blocker
JUGGLING ACT: It's tough to work and try to squeeze in time for English classes.

By JULIA O'MALLEY, Anchorage Daily News

Published: December 18, 2006

When she speaks better English, Celia Overstreet, a hotel
housekeeper from Brazil, wants a job caring for the elderly.

But like many of those learning English at the Anchorage
Literacy Project, she has less time for studies in the busy
tourist season, when she must choose between making a living
and coming to class.

"They call me for a job, say, 'I need you,' " she said.
"I miss school."

You can read the full story online at:

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/8502057p-8395357c.html

This article is protected by copyright and should not be
printed or distributed for anything except personal use.
For information on reprinting this article or placing it
on your Web site, please contact the Daily News marketing
department at (907) 257-4429 or marketing at adn.com.