[EDLING:1155] Re: [Fwd: Transnational communities of practice]

Susan Metheny natemaol at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Jan 4 07:24:44 UTC 2006

I used an article for a paper that gave a good basic background of
Communities of Interest and Communities of Practice (I believe) and here
is the name of that article:

Arias, E.G., Fischer, G. (2000), "Boundary objects: their role in
articulating the task at hand and making information relevant to it",
/International ICSC Symposium on Interactive and Collaborative
Computing/, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, pp.1-8.

It deals with collaborative work and the tools people use to communicate
with each other on teams when they are working in a community of
interest or a community of practice.

Susan Metheny
dojinwei at gse.upenn.edu wrote:

>Hi,
>
>You can check with Prof. Amy Tsui of Hong Kong University Institute of
>Education. I just heard that she is doing research on "community of practice".
>I'm also interested in that. If you have found something, share with me. Thanks.
>
>Jinwei Dong
>dojinwei at gse.upenn.edu
>
>引用 John Williams <fjwilliams at portables1.ngfl.gov.uk>:
>

>>I think the term was used first by Fishman in
>>
>>Language and Ethnicity. In H. Giles (Ed) Language,ethnicity and inter-group
>>relations.  London: Academic.
>>
>>Sincerely,
>>John Williams
>>UK

Susan Metheny
Ph.D. Student in Educational Linguistics
Department of Language, Literacy and Sociocultural Studies
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM  87131

"From the cowardice that dare not face new truths,
>>From the laziness that is contented with half truths,
>>From the arrogance that thinks it knows all truth,
Good Lord, deliver me."
			-- Prayer from Kenya