[EDLING:1203] Pickupphone Teams Up With Korea Times

Francis M Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Sat Jan 28 17:52:54 UTC 2006

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/nation/200601/kt2006012519481710600.htm

Pickupphone Teams Up With Korea Times

By Chung Ah-young
Staff Reporter

The Korea Times has forged a strategic partnership with Pickupphone, one of the nation's
top English education firms.
Park Moo-jong, president-publisher of The Korea Times, and Kim Kang-gu, president of
Korea's first telephone-based English education service, signed a partnership agreement
Wednesday in the newspaper's building in central Seoul.

Under the agreement, Pickupphone will use the nation's leading English daily as an
educational tool to enrich students' knowledge and improve their English skills.

``We encourage our students to read The Korea Times. I think the partnership creates
significant educational synergy for both partners,'' Kim said.

Through the partnership, the English daily is expected to improve its access to those who
are studying English or working in English-speaking environments such as corporations and
government-related agencies.

``We plan to cooperate closely with each other to provide high quality English education.
Many English-language students will benefit from the carefully crafted reading materials
in The Korea Times,'' Park said.

Pickupphone, established in 1990, boasts Korea's first foreign language telephone
education service and also a simultaneous taxi interpreter service.

Recently, the company began diversifying its operations both in simultaneous
interpretation and cyber English learning.

The company has about 350 Korean and English-speaking teachers and 15,000 clients.