[EDLING:1686] Re: Japan: Why primary school English puts off students

Dr. Peter Bettinger Bettinger-Rehlingen-Siersburg at T-ONLINE.DE
Sat Jul 1 11:50:24 UTC 2006

Dear All,

Professors Otsu's Special to the Daily Yomiuri (June 20, 2006) is quite
likely to attract more support than he/she might have anticipated. If the
word "English" was replaced with "French" and the country/area referred to
was "the Saarland", a Frankish and German speaking area wedged in between
France and Germany (an area in the past coveted by both France and Germany
because of its coal mining industry) we would notice that Professor Otsu's
assumptions are largely beaten by well established facts.

Back in 1959 the Saarland, which after WW II was under a UN mandate and
economically dependent on France, was reintegrated into Germany. French
language policy being what it is (even today) the French government
insisted on an exchange of letters which was to become part of a
Franco-German agreement. Since then it has been written in stone that French
had to be the first foreign (yes, they are still using this somewhat dated
adjective when referring to a modern or living language as opposed to a dead
language like Latin) language in the Saarland.

This did not seem to bother anyone because this rule was just applied to
secondary schools. French has been "the first foreign language" there for
half a century producing students who are familiar with restricted kowledge
of grammar and written French (as if a living language was a dead one) and a
more than doubtful mastery of spoken French. Things started changing when
the Common European Frame of Refernce (CEF)became current tender about six
years ago. The main problem and real obstacle in an effort to implement the
CEF is the qualification of teachers whose university education focused on
literature, the theoretical part of linguistics, grammar and translation.
How can you expect these teachers, who live just 50 miles from France at the
most (the Saarland is a tiny "land", about the size of London), to do what
Professor Otsu - with good reason - expects from teachers at primary school
level. And I would like to add that anything connected to mastering a
language is a pre-requisite of any intention to teach a language - above all
at beginners' level, regardless of the learners's age.

Things changed dramatically  in the Saarland when it became fashionalbe to
teach what the French call "l'enseignement précoce du Français). They did
the equivalent of what Profesor Otsu so beautifully describes in his/her
text. I wish the Japanese had analysed the effects of what happened in the
Saarland in the aftermath of compulsory classes French (2 hours per week) at
primary  schools level.

In spite of all kinds of political support and encouragement by both the
French and the German governments French is fighting a losing battle. Just
like German in France. Inofficially English has - and by far - been well
established as the Saarlanders  first modern language (after German and
Frankish) for as long as politician have been trying to use political
pressure to help the respective language win.

My short response to Professor Otsu's text would be incomplete if I did not
mention that throughout Germany English has been intoduced at all primary
schools as the language to be learnt apart from German (with the exception
of the Saarland). And they are seeing to it that all the pitfalls mentioned
by Professor Otsu can, at best, be circumnavigated. As long as you have not
got the primary school  teachers who are at least as qualified to teach
English as those who just teach English at secondary schools, don't even
dream of starting to teach it. If English was French nobody would really
care about all the drawbacks and long-term effects of bad English taught to
young learners. They would quite simply start losing interest right from the
start. The language in question being English it would be a disaster because
access to a lingua franca (which English may be for some time, like it or
not, just like Latin was  in Europe, for some time) is one of the basic
services we can and should supply to those whose future is our job today.

Peter Bettinger

( a teacher of English and French)