[EDLING:1287] Ministry of Education certifies GEMS teachers

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Wed Mar 1 18:02:43 UTC 2006

AME Info

http://www.ameinfo.com/79072.html

Ministry of Education certifies GEMS teachers

United Arab Emirates: Tuesday, February 28 - 2006 at 13:36 GMT+4

As part of GEMS's (Global Education Management Systems) drive to develop
higher standards of education in the region, nearly 260 of its Arabic and
Islamic Studies teachers from across the UAE attended training sessions held
under the auspices of the Ministry of Education.

The training certificates were presented by Mrs. Khadija Al Hussaini, Deputy
Director of Dubai Educational Zone for Private Education Affairs, at a special
ceremony held at 'The Millennium School', a GEMS school

Commenting on its commitment to encourage the understanding of local culture,
Hugh MacPherson, Chief Operating Officer, GEMS said, 'One of GEMS's core
values is World Citizenship. To reinforce this, we promote the learning of the
region's native language, Arabic, among all of our students, preparing them to
respect and adapt to the local culture'.

'We are grateful to the Ministry of Education for its commitment to train and
certify GEMS's Arabic and Islamic Studies teachers. Training and professional
development of all GEMS teaching staff is an important aspect of the quality
education that GEMS provides. These particular sessions aimed to help make the
learning of Arabic language more fruitful for our students', added MacPherson.

To ensure compliance of GEMS teaching standards with the rules and regulations
of the Ministry of Education, this series of workshops aimed at developing and
updating the knowledge of GEMS teachers in the subject area of Arabic and
Islamic Studies.

Commenting on the training sessions, John Collins, Director of Training and
Quality Assurance, GEMS, said, 'Arabic is one of the world's most widely
spoken languages and it should be taught with enthusiasm'.

The workshops were organized by Mr. Mohy Aldeen Kamal, GEMS Education Adviser
(Ministry of Education Matters) and Professor John Collins, Director of
Training & Quality Assurance, in line with GEMS professional development
programme.