[EDLING:1310] Super English Language High School in action

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Wed Mar 8 02:18:26 UTC 2006

Daily Yomiuri Online

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/features/language/20060307TDY16001.htm

SELHi in action / Schools' water study helps English flow

By Yoko Mizui Daily Yomiuri Staff Writer

This is the 17th installment in a series on the government-designated Super
English Language High School (SELHi) pilot project.

MATSUYAMA--Relating English to specialized technical subjects and the issue of
cultivating a communicative ability in English have been the main challenges
faced by Ehime Prefectural Matsuyama Technical High School since its
designation as a SELHi in 2004.

Of 101 SELHi schools throughout the country, Matsuyama is the only technical
high school.

"As there is no previous school to provide an example or offer us advice, it
has been very difficult for us to create a curriculum that can address these
issues," said Kiwame Kono, 52, chief of the school's multimedia education
department and head of its SELHi project. Of the school's nine courses, the
students who are now in the second year of its Information Technology course
were chosen as a SELHi class in 2004, partly because English is typically
needed for circulating information as widely as possible on the Internet.

They chose environmental issues as a key subject for combining their English
and IT studies and set a goal of collecting information on the local water
environment and posting it on the Web in English in collaboration with a high
school in the United States.

The students researched water quality and the presence of aquatic creatures in
the nearby Ishitegawa river last year and input their data into a Geographic
Information System (GIS) computer mapping application. In conducting the
research, students worked with a local nonprofit organization concerned with
water-related environmental preservation.

The students in the SELHi class have been in regular e-mail and
videoconference contact with students from McKinley High School in Canton,
Ohio, so that their data can be compiled along with data from the U.S. school
into a joint report.

Matsuyama's connection with McKinley is a result of the Japan Fulbright
Memorial Fund's Master Teacher Program. Participating in the program are a
total of 25 primary, middle and high schools in Japan and an equal number of
counterpart schools in the United States. Each school pairs up with a partner
school in the other country and the paired schools develop and run two
projects jointly for a period of 10 months.

Matsuyama and McKinley have been researching bugs, soil, water quality and
aquatic insects. The two schools have been holding monthly videoconferences
and exchanging data since September. In the new school year, Matsuyama is
scheduled to pair up with Shoreline High School in Tomales, Calif.

"As our students are majoring in information technology, they need to be able
to convey information overseas. I think this Master Teacher Program offers
students a great opportunity to do just that and exchange information with
students overseas," Kono said.

Besides the overseas connection and the unusual subject matter, the format of
the English lessons in the SELHi-designated class are also quite different
from regular classes. Not only does the SELHi class have three hours of
English per week instead of two, the 40 students in the class are divided into
five groups and each one has an assigned teacher. Although the groups
basically cover the same material, they study at different levels and in a way
that best corresponds with their level. From time to time, the groups meet in
a classroom and review together what they have learned.

The Daily Yomiuri observed one of these classes with all groups present in
February. The 40 students met in an audiovisual classroom on the second floor
of the school library. The class was attended by five Japanese English-
language teachers and Vania Wai Yan Ling, an assistant language teacher (ALT)
from Canada.

"Last week, each group studied one different aspect relating to bullfrogs.
Today, we'll review last week's lesson together," said Koji Toyama, an English-
language teacher.

"Today, we'll play Who Wants to Be a SELHi Millionaire?, hosted by me," Ling
said. In Ling's game, modeled after the popular TV quiz show, students were
required to choose a correct answer from multiple choices starting from a 100
dollars easy question--"What does hikigaeru mean in English"--to the 1 million
dollars question-- "How can we stop bullfrogs from increasing their numbers?"

All the questions were related to what they had learned in previous lessons.

After the quiz, students were told to discuss the last question in their
respective groups. The five teachers spread out to assist them. The students
discussed the issue for about 10 minutes and representatives of each group
offered their conclusions to the rest of the class.

"I think it's important to study grammar, but I also think this kind of
lesson, which cannot be done in a regular class, can also be very useful.
Teachers say that we should study practical English," said Yuto Kubo, a second-
year student.

A classmate, Tomoya Kawamoto, described the class as interesting.

Yasuhisa Kajiwara, principal of the high school, said Japanese teachers of
English were working hard to figure out what they could achieve with a limited
number of English lessons.

"I hear that at some SELHi schools, they teach English six hours a week. But
as our school isn't aiming at college entrance, we cannot devote so many hours
just to English. So the English taught in our school is not for use in passing
college entrance exams but as a tool of communication," he said. He also
mentioned that thanks to the SELHi designation, the school can have an ALT
stationed at the school every day.

Matsuyama is the first school at which Ling has ever taught English.

"I was surprised to come to this school as I'm not only teaching English, I'm
also helping to teach biology. Most schools teach with a regular English
textbook. However, we are teaching using information that the students have
gathered. We don't have a textbook that was provided by the board of
education," she said.

Instead of using stipulated textbooks, Matsuyama uses original materials for
its SELHi class. Until last October, students used texts relating to aquatic
wildlife that Kono found on the Internet, and prepared presentations to be
made in their monthly videoconferences held in September and November.

For the more detailed November videoconference, each group made a presentation
in English about different invasive alien species. Since then, each group has
used the presentation content created by the other groups--subject to some
editing by the teachers--as its own study material.

"We were lucky as Vania majored in biology at a university," Kono said.

"Multiteam teaching is very challenging, but I think it's a good opportunity
to combine many different ideas and to try to think of the best way to teach
students about English and about science," Ling said.

Kono thinks Ling's presence at the school helps a lot to motivate students to
study English.

"I think her friendly personality and her curiosity in all kinds of things
have a great influence on students and teachers," he said.

Kono moved to this school four years ago after teaching at a number of high
schools with good records of sending students to prestigious universities. He
believes English should be taught so that students can utilize it for life
rather than just as a tool to pass university entrance examinations.

"It's not just a case of teaching English. I also want to have students learn
about their local environment in cooperation with other organizations. By
focusing on the environment around them, I hope students' interest in the
environment will grow from a local to a global scale," he said.

(Mar. 7, 2006)