[EDLING:1323] language study by elderly

Tuula Laitinen tusila at UTU.FI
Mon Mar 13 11:59:47 UTC 2006

Dear all,

I am looking for people who share my research interest.

Tuula Laitinen
tusila at utu.fi
University of Turku, Finland

FOREIGN LANGUAGE STUDY AND THE ELDERLY

Why do they study – how should they be taught?

The study of foreign languages by elderly people remains scarcely researched while its importance in our western, rapidly aging education societies is growing. In my research “elderly” is defined as old-age pensioners: it is essential that the foreign languages are not studied for the competence needs of working life. One of my research problems, in fact, is the meanings the elderly themselves give to their language studies. If the significance of the study and language class activity is constructed differently from younger age groups, the elements of good language teaching may be differently emphasized, as well. My main question is: What should the language teaching of the elderly be like in order to meet their needs and wishes?

Foreign language studying and learning involves identity in a multi-faceted way. To begin with, the cultural identity of an individual will be challenged and possibly reshaped. In my research I aim to clarify whether and how language study and cultural identity are interrelated in later age and how language study possibly affects the world view of elderly people. Secondly, an individual has an identity as a language learner. Language learner identity is gradually constructed by experiences, especially through the feedback of significant persons. Elderly language learners are often pronouncedly self-critical, especially in oral skills. So, I examine the role of former (language) learning experiences and the language learner identity in the study of foreign languages. Thirdly, in language study among the elderly the general self-esteem aspect of identity is essential: it is an important matter whether a successful and/or meaningful language study may support the self-respect a
nd the coping with challenges of everyday life by elderly people. Since a language with a surrounding culture system is an exceptionally multifaceted learning target, that potentially activates as much cognitive as affective and social being, the possibilities of language study in maintaining functional capacities – as well mental as physical – of the elderly deserve to be thoroughly viewed.

The planned research methods:
- a questionnaire with open questions: about hundred respondents
- theme interviews: about ten interviewees
(- language class observation and discussions with language teachers).