[EDLING:1375] The MLJ Turns 90 in a Digital Age

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Fri Mar 24 15:55:22 UTC 2006

The Modern Language Journal celebrates 90 years with the publication of the
first issue of 2006

>>From the Editor, Sally Seiloff Magnan

Begun in 1916, The Modern Language Journal enters its 90th year of
uninterrupted publication with this issue. From a first print issue of 42
pages, the Journal now averages 164 pages per quarterly issue and is available
in print and digitally to individuals, libraries, and consortia worldwide. The
electronic dissemination of the Journal has increased its availability and
usage under the careful guidance of Blackwell Publishing.

In 2004 the MLJ’s electronic access allowed it to reach over 135,000 scholars
around the world. Given that the highest previous circulation number of 12,000
existed at the end of Robert Roeming’s editorship in 1970 (Magnan, 2001, p.
109), the current distribution of the MLJ is now higher than ever before in
its 90-year history

The stature of scholarly journals is no longer well characterized by print
circulation figures, which do not reflect readership accurately in this
digital age. In addition to data about how often individual articles are
accessed, some scholars consider citation indexes to estimate a journal’s
scholarly reach. In the Thomson Journal Citation Reports Social Science
Edition 2004, the MLJ ranked first in the applied linguistics category in the
immediacy index (2.348), which considers how quickly articles in a journal are
cited. Its impact factor was 0.750, which gives the average number of times
articles published in the MLJ in the past 2 years were cited during 2004. The
cited half-life was 7.8 years; this figure gives the median age of MLJ
articles cited in 2004.

In closing, I want to stress that figures such as the ones included in this
90th birthday summary of the status of the MLJ tell only partial stories and
can also be misleading. They must be interpreted and used with care.
Nonetheless, it is fair to say that at age 90, the MLJ is a vibrant journal
with a far reach and a strong scholarly impact.

I thank Blackwell Publishing for taking the Journal into this new millennium
and the digital world it represents, and the University of Wisconsin Press,
the NFMLTA, and the 16 editors before me who shepherded it to the
international stature it enjoys today. The next decade will take the Journal
to its 100th birthday by which time electronic publishing and diversity of
research methodologies can be expected to have enriched our discipline even
further.

To read this letter from the editor in its entirety, click here:
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/toc/modl/90/1.