[EDLING:1378] Mauritius: The National Performance in Languages

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Sat Mar 25 00:29:41 UTC 2006

Mauritius Times

The National Performance in Languages

http://www.mauritiustimes.com/240306sooba.htm

-- Paramanund Soobarah

All 17500 students of the stream who sat for the School Certificate in 2005
offered English and French. I assume they had to. The percentages of those
scoring “C’ or better in the subjects was as follows: English 37%, French 69%.
This is nothing to gloat about, particularly when one remembers that the full
stream numbered 30,000 when they sat for the CPE in 2000. The corresponding
percentages when the passes are related to the full stream are English 22% and
French 40%. Compared to some African countries this is a good rating. But if
the aim is for us to become the knowledge hub of the Indian Ocean, then
comparison with Burkina Faso and Niger will take us nowhere. We have to look
to Singapore and Finland; compared to these countries, we have some way to go,
particularly when as in our case even good scores at the School Certificate in
English or French do not indicate proficiency in these languages. Whatever be
the strengths of our teachers for inculcating written English and French, they
do not seem to have been adequately trained for the teaching the oral versions
of these languages. The MIE and the Linguistics Department of the University
must bear a great responsibility for the failure of our Nation in matters
linguistic. With the sort of comments that we regularly receive from people
responsible for recruitment to the BPO outfits, the heads of these
organisations ought to resign if they had any sense of self-respect left.

In the case of French it is well anchored in our mores that success at the
Alliance Française exams are much more meaningful than at the Cambridge School
Certificate. Even then, many students, with the Alliance Française
certificates in their pockets, find it difficult to overcome the corrosive
effects of Creole: they fail to pronounce the sound “R” at the end of
syllables, and are unable to manage the mute “E” correctly. The rules for “E
muet” or “E instable” as it is also called are set out in all textbooks of
French pronunciation, beginning with that classic, Pierre Fouché’s “Traité de
Prononçiation Française”. That text, or Pierre Léon’s “Prononciation du
Français standard” ought to be compulsory reading and practice material at the
MIE for all trainee teachers and available in multiple numbers in all our
school libraries. Even so, parents who elect to submit their children to the
examinations of Alliance Française are to be congratulated; all other parents
are urged to emulate their example.

It is also to be hoped that the “Francophonie” crowd can devote some attention
to French elocution in the country by school children in general, in addition
to just the high literary quality of the production of a select few. A nation
is judged first by how its members speak and behave in general before going on
to consider how well a few dozen among them write. And how its members speak
should not be judged by whether the speaker is slavishly imitating Creole or
Franco-Mauritian pronunciation. Some of the best speakers of French live in
Senegal or Morocco: admittedly they might regarded as “vulgar” by some in the
Linguistics Department, but that is neither here nor there. Their views are
totally irrelevant. The only way Mauritians of Asian origin can regain their
lost pride and sense of self-respect in matters linguistic is to learn to
speak French accurately as the Senegalese and the Moroccans do, with all the
R’s and E’s correctly sounded.

Dedication to teaching

The statistics regarding English Language are not encouraging, particularly
when we know how badly many of our youngsters even with good scores at the
School Certificate speak. I have no doubt that the level of written English
attained by those who score a “C” in the subject is satisfactory. But I must
stress again that in the real world people are judged first by how they speak
and only much later by how they write. In cases where the duties of a post
include writing, some employers, in addition to conducting oral interviews,
submit candidates to written tests. In Mauritius it is more likely that
candidates pass the written test well but fail the oral interview.

If we wish to become the knowledge hub of the Indian Ocean, we must aim at
having at least 75% of the rising generation speaking English correctly. To
that end, it is essential that the teaching of oral English be improved in our
secondary schools. One must assume that teachers of English themselves speak
the language well. Therefore, what may have to be addressed is their
dedication to teaching, their teaching methods, their teaching texts and
possibly also the veto power wielded by hierarchic superiors and Ministry
officials still stuck in Old Primary School English (OPSE).

The classic method of teaching pronunciation is get all pupils in a class to
read modern prose or sets of sentences aloud successively, paying special
attention to word stress, sentence stress, sentence chunking, and intonation
and rhythm. This used to be done at RCC in my time, except that not much
attention was paid to mistakes in stress, which seriously limited the value of
the exercise. Systematic training in the stress pattern of all common words
and words with common endings should be undertaken to ensure they are
accurately pronounced. There are a quite a few textbooks that provide such
training, although one must admit they are not as common as those dealing with
grammar, syntax and vocabulary; apparently the demand for such books is not
great. But we are a special case; we are the only country with English as the
official language to be bedevilled with a French-based Creole lingua franca
which has far-reaching malignant effects on the learning of English, spoken
and written.

The pronunciation of French words is largely phonetic; that is to say, for
most words, the pronunciation can be predicted accurately from the spelling.
This is not the case in English, but unfortunately when reading, we tend to
apply the principles of French pronunciation to English words, and afterwards
while speaking we re-use those incorrect pronunciations. Additionally, when
speaking or writing English, we tend to translate French expressions
literally, and this results in incorrect English. This is why we need
specially prepared textbooks to address our problems. Familiarity with English
idiom and phrase can only come with wide reading and if possible, listening to
BBC, CNN and other English-speaking radion and TV stations. This will also
help with pronunciation which in any case must be actively taught and learnt.
Frequent tests must be organised to check on whether pupils are learning the
pronunciations accurately. Best of all would be exercises in transcription of
sentences into phonetic script. It is a matter of great disappointment that
the Ministry of Education has not yet adopted some version of the
International Phonetic Script in language teaching in the country, right from
kindergarten level.

Reading sessions

I do not wish to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, but there may be teachers
who are not aware that in other countries where English is not the mother
tongue (like Mauritius) a system called “Extensive Reading Programme” has been
found to yield rewarding results. Under this programme children are required
to read aloud from graded readers (story booklets) for 20 minutes everyday at
home. The booklets only use limited vocabulary, to make sure that reading does
not have to be interrupted to check the meaning of words. Level 1 readers
typically contain the first 300 simplest words. All the words of the level are
first introduced in class, with their pronunciations, meanings, grammar and
associated sentence structures; the children are also taught sentence chunking
and intonation, and are made to read from one reader aloud in class to serve
as model for the home assignment. All pupils will not be reading at the same
speed; faster readers are encouraged to read more books, but every child is
expected to read a minimum number of a dozen or so of them. In the initial
stages, as a student completes one book, he or she is made to complete a short
multiple-choice questionnaire with 6 to 10 questions about the main characters
and events in the story just to ensure that the assignment is being carried
out. The progress of the children in pronunciation and fluency is judged by
loud reading sessions in class.

In a continuing programme the teacher judges when to begin preparation for the
vocabulary of the next level, while home reading activity within the current
level goes on. When the vocabulary and structures of the next level have been
introduced, the class can move on to that level of readers which will
typically contain the first 600 words. This process goes on until readers
containing the first 3000 words have been covered, after which all the
participants are regarded as fully proficient readers and let loose in the
library. The process may extend over three years. The implementation of the
system assumes an abundant supply of graded readers. These are readily
available from the well-known educational publishers.

In Mauritius it is important to take one special precaution. Children must not
be exposed to broadcasting stations where speakers do not pronounce well. Even
our Hindi/Bhojpuri programme in the morning is messed up by one fellow who
comes up every now and then with “Broadcasting round the clock, this is Radio
Mauriiiiiitius.” It seems that he was never taught to distinguish
between ‘sh*t’ and ‘sheet’ or between ‘p*ss’ and ‘piece’; nor, it appears, was
the management of the Mauritius Broadcasting Corporation. In the meantime, all
Indo-Mauritian children absorb this atrocious pronunciation of the name of our
country. Can anybody explain to the Prime Minister that this is an intolerable
state of affairs?

While this does not strictly relate to the SC results of 2005, it is also
important to ensure that every single Civil Servant and every single teacher
should be able to speak English correctly. Prime Minister Lee Kwan Yew used to
send Permanent Secretaries back to school to improve their English. Forget
about those who are above forty-five: they can carry on with their Old Primary
School English until they retire. But those who are below forty-five still
have a lot of potential left in them, and can make a very effective
contribution towards the economic development of our country. Special adult
education classes in English, more easily accessible than those run by the
British Council at their Centre in Rose Hill, should be organised for them,
but the help of the British Council may have to be solicited. The most
suitable course they could be made to follow would be those leading to
appropriate levels of Cambridge examinations of English for Speakers of Other
Language (ESOL). These start at an elementary level and go through
intermediate levels up to the Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE), the
highest level. Every Civil Servant and every teacher other than teachers of
English Language should have a pass with a satisfactory score at this
examination, commonly known as the Cambridge CPE.

Development of tourism

To get back to the Statistics, one in five of those sitting for the School
Certificate in 2005 also offered French Literature; two-thirds of them
scored “C” or better. One in six offered Literature in English, and half of
them scored “C” or better. Given the national weakness in English, one would
have expected that schools had laid greater stress on Literature in English
because of the additional opportunities it provides for the reading, writing
and speaking of English. This ought to be made a compulsory subject for Form V
by all schools. This used to be practice at RCC in my time.

One in eight SC participants offered Hindi, and 84% of them scored “C” or
better. Less than a hundred (91) offered Literature in Hindi, but again with a
good score: 85% of them had “C” or better. These two subjects had the highest
success rate of all subjects offered in the country. Not surprisingly the next
highest was Urdu, with a success rate of 81%. Other languages offered, with
the number of candidates indicated in brackets, were Arabic (142), Tamil
(113), German (48), Spanish(42), Telugu (36), Marathi (31), Sanskrit (23) and
Modern Std Chinese (17). For these languages the effort to prepare and sit for
the papers is in itself quite praiseworthy, regardless of the result. However
if the government really means business concerning its statements about the
development of tourism, and the Cabinet issues an instruction to that effect,
the Ministry of Education should provide facilities in selected regional
secondary schools for teaching conversational German and Italian, and possibly
also Spanish, Japanese and Mandarin, to enable those youngsters who wish to
head for the hospitality industry to improve their qualifications. At this
stage we are not expecting to be flooded with Arabic speaking tourists, but if
that day arrives, facilities for conversational Arabic may also have to be
made available.

While on the subject of languages, we must draw attention to a recent notice
issued by the Public Service Commission that required written and spoken
English and French, and said that a third “international language” would be an
advantage. In the context in which it was used, the term is meaningless. Were
they looking for Esperanto, Ido or some similar artificial construction for
international use, or perhaps for Bhojpuri (spoken in a dozen countries) or
French-based Creole (spoken in half a dozen countries), or perhaps for
Swahili, Hindi or Urdu (all spoken in numerous countries)? Or was there a
hidden agenda in the use of the term? Why not use more precise terms like
European, African or Asian languages? These three classes of languages cover
all languages that could be of interest. When the PSC retains the right of
interpretation of elements of qualifications, beyond the formula “alternatives
acceptable to the Commission” which is meant to cater for cases when
candidates come up with qualifications not widely known in Mauritius,
prospective candidates are entitled to feel concerned.

Paramanund Soobarah
Soobarah.param at gmail.com

(To be continued)