[EDLING:1386] Visiting positions in linguistics & sociolinguistics

Tamara Warhol warholt at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Mon Mar 27 15:03:48 UTC 2006

Begin forwarded message:

*From: *Talbot Taylor <txtayl at wm.edu>
*Date: *March 26, 2006 5:42:35 PM EST
*To: *beth.levin at stanford.edu, stowell at ucla.edu, inkelas at berkeley.edu,
dringe at unagi.cis.upenn.edu, jmccarthy at linguist.umass.edu, heim at mit.edu,
anna.szabolcsi at nyu.edu, benmamou at uiuc.edu, culicover.1 at osu.edu,
a-dahlstrom at midway.uchicago.edu, jsb2 at cornell.edu,
deprez at rci.rutgers.edu, beddors at umich.edu, schiffrd at georgetown.edu,
gaby at udel.edu, paul hopper <ph1u+ at andrew.cmu.edu>, Talbot Taylor
<txtayl at wm.edu>
*Subject: Visiting positions in linguistics & sociolinguistics
*
I am writing as Director of the Linguistics Program at the College of
William and Mary (Williamsburg, Virginia).  We have a thriving
linguistics program, with four full-time faculty and currently more than
50 undergraduate linguistic majors.

One of our linguistics faculty, Jack Martin, is to be chair of the
English Department for the next 3 years; I will have a residency
fellowship at the National Humanities Center next year. We are therefore
looking for two, full-year-full-benefits visiting assistant professors
for next year (2006-07).  One of these must be qualified to teach a
first-level phonetics & phonology course; the other should be qualified
to teach first-level courses in sociolinguistics and the history of the
English language.  The official announcements of the openings are copied
below.

Could I ask you please to make our openings known to any of your current
or recent graduate students who are qualified in one of these fields?
We will begin reviewing applications (which should be submitted
electronically toklobri at wm.edu) next week and hope to have filled the
openings towards the end of April.  The William and Mary linguistics
faculty, Ann Reed, Jack Martin, Anne Charity and I, would be most
grateful for your assistance in this initial stage of our search process.

Sincerely,
Tolly

VISITING INSTRUCTOR OR ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF LINGUISTICS -- COLLEGE OF
WILLIAM & MARY
The College of William and Mary invites applications for a one-year
position in an undergraduate Linguistics program. Teaching
responsibilities will include introductory courses in linguistics and in
phonetics/phonology, as well as a topics course in an area of the
instructor's choosing. Please send letter/cv (electronic copy only,
please) ASAP to Professor Talbot J. Taylor (klobri at wm.edu). Review of
applications will begin on March 28th and will continue until the
position is filled.  *The College is an EEO/AA employer*

VISITING INSTRUCTOR OR ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF SOCIOLINGUISTICS --
COLLEGE OF WILLIAM & MARY
The College of William and Mary invites applications for a one-year
position in an undergraduate Linguistics program. Teaching
responsibilities will include introductory courses in Linguistics,
Sociolinguistics, and the History of the English Language, as well as a
topics course in an area of the instructor's choosing. Please send
letter/cv (electronic copy only, please) ASAP to Professor Talbot J.
Taylor (klobri at wm.edu). Review of applications will begin on March 28th
and will continue until the position is filled.  *The College is an
EEO/AA employer*

**************************************
/Talbot J. Taylor /
/L.G.T. Cooley Professor of English and Linguistics /
/Director, Linguistics Program /
/Co-Editor,/Language & Communication
/Department of English/
/College of William and Mary /
/Williamsburg, Virginia 23187-8795, USA /

/Tel. (757) 221-3940 /
/Fax (757) 221-1844 /
/Email:txtayl at wm.edu /
/http://www.wm.edu/linguistics//