[EDLING:1396] Civil servants 'wasted time' learning Irish to boost career

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Thu Mar 30 04:39:04 UTC 2006

IOL

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?j=177649368&p=y7765xx74

Civil servants 'wasted time' learning Irish to boost career

29/03/2006 - 18:38:40

Civil servants who learned Irish to improve their career prospects would have
better spent the time at home mowing the lawn, it was claimed today.

Language Commissioner Sean O Cuirreain said Irish-speaking workers in half of
all government departments and offices may have been denied promotions because
official decisions and agreements were not implemented.

“If I were a civil servant who had gone to night classes to improve my Irish,
had gone to the Gaeltacht to improve my Irish over the years in the hope that
it would help me in promotion and to find out now that it didn’t help me at
all, that marks weren’t given if I worked in those particular departments
involved, I think I’d be fairly aggrieved,” he said.

“Essentially those civil servants in relation to their skills in Irish being
of help to promotion they might have been better off at home mowing the lawn
or painting the ceiling.”

Mr O Cuirreain said the system of compulsory Irish was ended 30 years ago and
it appeared that certain elements in the state system took it upon themselves
to effectively promote compulsory English.

“There was a widely held belief that a system had been established – based on
Government decisions and agreements – which awarded additional marks (6% or
3%) to candidates with an extra level of skill, ie. proficiency in both
official languages of the state,” he said.

“It now appears that half of all government departments and offices have not
been, or are not, complying with this system in their internal promotion
competitions.”

The matter was initially raised by a civil servant in the Department of
Education and Science who argued he had lost out on promotion because he had
been refused the marks to which he was entitled.

Following enquiries, the department confirmed that it had not in the past
rewarded competency in Irish with additional marks in internal promotion
competitions.

It also emerged that they were not alone in this; half of all government
departments and offices had adopted the same approach, the commissioner said.

Trade unions sought the end of the system in the past claiming it created a
sense of grievance for those who did not qualify but the Government refused in
a bid to ensure sufficient competence in the language to allow citizens do
their business with government departments and offices through Irish.

“There will be those who will argue that the additional skill of proficiency
in Irish should not attract such recognition. That argument is not relevant,
however, in this instance,” Mr O Cuirreain said.

“The core issue here concerns compliance with Government decisions and
agreements, and with matters of fairness, openness and ethics in the civil
service.”

An Coimisineir Teanga said he had referred the failure to comply with the
system to the appropriate authorities – the Commission for Public Service
Appointments and the Finance Minister