[EDLING:1570] Speaking their language

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Mon May 15 00:25:57 UTC 2006

Malaysia Star

Speaking their language

BY SHARMILLA GANESAN

When Mohan Nanu, 48, finished secondary school, he had two choices: take up
teaching or join the army. Luckily for all his subsequent students, his
parents convinced him that becoming an educator would be the better choice.

“And after all these years, I think I agree with them,” says Mohan, who has
been teaching for 27 years. He is currently the afternoon supervisor in SMK
Bandar Baru Ampang.

His firm and serious demeanour is quite befitting the Mathematics teacher he
is, and one can imagine that it would be easy for him to keep his students in
line.

Speaking to him, however, it quickly becomes apparent why he gets along so
well with his students. His jokes and easy laughter belie his stern exterior.

http://thestar.com.my/education/story.asp?file=/2006/5/14/education/14213113