[EDLING:2020] child language question

sicola at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU sicola at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Sat Nov 4 21:35:15 UTC 2006

Does anyone have a reference or two that mentions typical substitutions for
the theta (voiceless-th) by young L1-English children? (E.g. My three-year-old
nephew said "I'm free years old!" thus substituting [f] for theta.) I'm
generally looking for typical developmental substitutions, though would be
interested in examples of substitutions due to speech disorders as well, as
long as it's in young children. Are there commonly-cited sources showing
patterned substitution, particularly of the /s/, /t/ or /f/ (or other)?

Again, I'm specifically looking for L1, not L2, information.

Thanks!

Laura

--
Laura Sicola