[EDLING:2032] thought organization and mind mapping

sicola at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU sicola at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Wed Nov 8 03:45:16 UTC 2006

Hello everyone,

It's not exactly research, but I thought this tool was worth sharing. I just
found out about a fully legit free software download that allows you to
create "mind maps" or "word webs" or whatever term you prefer in a wonderfully
organized fashion on the computer. Whether you use it yourself to
conceptualize a research project, lit review, etc. or use it as an eductional
tool for teaching writing, or something else, I have to say it's very user
friendly and I plan to use it with my ESL writing students immediately. It's
called Freemind, takes all of 3 minutes to download (if you need to download
the javascript first, that's another 3 minutes) and then it's ready to go.
Five minutes of playing around and you figure out exactly how it works.
Here's the link:

http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I hope many of you and/or your students find this tool helpful.

Happy pre-writing,

Laura

--
Laura Sicola