[EDLING:2003] Mauritius: Over Seventy and Still Unlearning Old Primary School English

fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Sat Oct 28 22:06:09 UTC 2006

Mauritius Times

Over Seventy and Still Unlearning Old Primary School English

Where did we go wrong

Our language teaching system has remained essentially the same for the last
seventy-five years. Like thousands of others I have been a victim of the
system, and I am angry about it, for I have had to pay a heavy price to
survive the deep scars it left on me. I have had to deny my family and myself
a substantial proportion of what would have been my spare time because I have
had to unlearn the bad linguistic habits it planted in me. Learning a language
in early childhood requires practically no effort: the baby’s computer is
programmed to learn by hearing. Learning a new language as an adult is
difficult enough by itself; but if one has to unlearn what one has acquired in
early childhood, it is a hell of a problem.

The full story is available at
http://www.mauritiustimes.com/271006sooba.htm