[EDLING:30] Literacy begins with first language

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Mon Apr 16 14:25:57 UTC 2007

Modbee.com

Literacy begins with first language

It is interesting to read opinions of people who know nothing about language
learning. Most people in the United States only speak one language and claim to
be experts in language learning due to the fact that they learned to speak
English.

However, linguists will tell you that the more fluent I am in my native
language the better my capacity for learning other languages. Experiments in
Canada prove that the more fluent a child is in his own native language, the
easier it becomes for the child to acquire a second or a third language. The
message: Speak, read and write a lot in your native language!

Full story
http://www.modbee.com/opinion/letters/story/13490118p-14098516c.html