Learning English through country music, Mozart and hockey

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Fri Dec 7 20:01:09 UTC 2007

Globe and Mail

Learning English through country music, Mozart and hockey

Rana Lee, a recent arrival from South Korea, listens to Brad Paisley's fishin' song and quickly gets the drift - the guy loses the girl. It is a country and western song, after all.

One line perplexes her, though: "I spend all day out on this lake and hell is all I catch."

University of Toronto professor Jennifer Harris, who teaches an advanced course in English as a second language, swings by Ms. Lee's desk and explains that to catch hell means to get in trouble. The fellow is in trouble because he spends more time on the lake than at home. But, ultimately, he chooses fishing over romance.

This is the new ESL.

Full story:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20071205.CENSUSESL05/TPStory/National