Arizona: Apache language in home remains important for overall retention

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Fri Dec 28 18:37:05 UTC 2007

Arizona Silver Belt

Apache language in home remains important for overall retention

Last week I wrote about our Community Language Survey and what it shows about the rate of decline in people speaking Apache. This week I want to write about why. What did the survey reveal about people's reasons for not speaking Apache?

The answers involve a "vicious cycle" and a language program in Hawaii.

The vicious cycle is this: people aren't learning Apache because they don't hear it at home, and they don't hear it at home because people aren't learning it.

Full story:

http://www.silverbelt.com/articles/2007/12/26/apache_moccasin/apache04.txt