[EDLING:2393] Katz embraces dynamic approach to convey richness of languages

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Wed Feb 28 14:43:44 UTC 2007

News at Princeton

Katz embraces dynamic approach to convey richness of languages

Associate Professor of Classics Joshua Katz likes to start the first day of
class in "Origins and Nature of English Vocabulary" with what he calls
his "party trick."

"I ask students to stand up and say a few words, and then I tell them where
they're from," said Katz, who is an expert in historical and comparative
linguistics. He follows up by revealing one or two of his secrets to deriving
hometowns from people's speech. "The students are amazed that it's possible to
get all that information from how a person speaks."

Full story
http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S17/25/90I16/index.xml?
section=featured