[EDLING:2230] CFP: 19th Conference on Foreign/2nd Language Acquisition

Tamara Warhol warholt at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Fri Jan 12 13:54:43 UTC 2007

via the Linguist List . . .

Full Title: 19th Conference on Foreign/2nd Language Acquisition
Short Title: ICFSLA 19

Date: 17-May-2007 - 19-May-2007
Location: Szczyrk, Poland
Contact Person: Adam Wojtaszek
Meeting Email: szczyrkconferenceop.pl
Web Site: http://uranos.cto.us.edu.pl/~icfsla/

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition

Call Deadline: 31-Jan-2007

Meeting Description:

The Institute of English at the University of Silesia is pleased to
announce the
19th International Conference on Foreign and Second Language Acquisition.
Traditionally, this conference focuses on research in second and foreign
language learning, concentrating each year on different aspects of the
research
field. This time we would like to give priority to the neurolinguistic
perspective of language acquisition studies. With the rapid development of
modern technology and research procedures undreamt of or too costly in
the 20th
century, neurolinguistics enables scientists to make increasingly
intriguing and
stimulating insights into the processes governing language acquisition,
functioning and production in the human brain. It is one of those fields of
research which, unlike any others within broadly understood linguistics,
developed so significantly within the previous decade and where the
necessity of
updating one's knowledge seems an unquestionable necessity. For that
reason, our
conference stands a chance of becoming a unique opportunity for all those
involved in language acquisition and learning studies, but working within
different frameworks, to get familiarized with the latest insights
offered by
neurolinguists, on the one hand, and for neurolinguists to broaden their
perspectives through contacts with scholars representing alternative
paradigms,
on the other. That is why the plenary sessions will be concentrating on the
leading theme of the conference, whereas the presentations in sections
will be
divided into thematic areas focusing on various aspects of SLA research.
All
those wishing to contribute papers or just to attend presentations are
welcome
to participate in the conference.

We are pleased to announce that the following scholars have expressed their
agreement to present plenary papers at our conference:

Jubin Abutalebi, University of University Vita-Salute San Raffaele, Milan

Peter Indefrey, Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen

Terrence Odlin, Ohio State University, Columbus

David Singleton, Trinity College, Dublin

Michael Ullman, Georgetown University, Washington DC

The Conference will be held in Szczyrk (''shchirk''), an attractive
resort in
the Silesian Beskidy mountains of southern Poland. The village follows an
ascending valley between wooded hills, and there are many marked trails for
hiking and walking. In the winter it is one of the most popular ski
resorts of
the region.

The site of the Conference is the Hotel WLÓKNIARZ (''vooknyazh''), at ulica
Willowa 12. The hotel has a restaurant, café, and a bar. The hotel is a
5-minute
walk from the bus station in the town centre of Szczyrk.

The event will take place between 17th and 19th May 2007. For those who
wish to
stay in double rooms the all-inclusive conference fee* of approximately 700
zloty (175 euro) will be collected on arrival at the conference desk.
Accommodation in single rooms (subject to availability) involves an
additional
cost of 25 euro (100 z?oty). For those, however, who are willing to
transfer the
fee in advance (by 31 March 2007), we offer an ''early bird bonus'' of
25 euro
(100 zloty), on the condition that the money is paid into our conference
account
at the University of Silesia. The account number is 74 1050 1214 1000
0007 0000
7909, the beneficiary: Uniwersytet ?l?ski w Katowicach, ul. Bankowa 12,
40-007
Katowice, Poland, the title of the payment: ICFSLA + your name. The
swift code
of the bank is INGBPLPW. It is very important that you mark the payment
with the
sub-account name ICFSLA and your name, because otherwise the financial
department will not know where to allocate the money and we will not
have your
name on the list of those who have paid. The Polish participants paying
by bank
transfer, if they wish to receive the VAT bill, must have their fees
paid by the
institutions which they represent, otherwise they will have to write to our
financial department and specifically ask for the bill.

Paper abstracts should be sent before 31 January 2007 to the Institute of
English. The registration form, including the paper abstract, may be
posted or
sent by fax or as an attachment to an e-mail. If you pay the fee to our
account,
please send us also a fax of the payment document.

For conference-related matters, contact Professor Janusz Arabski, or
Conference
Organisers, at the following address:

Institute of English, University of Silesia

ul. ?ytnia 10

41-205 Sosnowiec

POLAND

tel/fax: (48 32) 291 74 17