[EDLING:2264] CFP: IDENTITY AND POWER IN THE LANGUAGE CLASSROOM

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Fri Jan 19 15:21:29 UTC 2007

CALL FOR PAPERS

Deadline extended to 10th February!

INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON IDENTITY AND POWER IN THE LANGUAGE CLASSROOM

11–12 June 2007
Umeå University, Sweden

Plenary speakers
Professor Claudia Finkbeiner, University of Kassel, School of Modern Languages
and Literatures, Department of English

Christine Helot, Maître de conférences, Institut Universitaire de Formation des
Maîtres (IUFM) d’Alsace; Université Marc Bloch (UMB), Anglo-American Studies.

Abstracts are hereby invited for 40-minute papers (25 mins talk, 15 mins
questions), and for shorter papers (15 mins talk) suitable for presentation and
discussion either in thematic workshops or in whole-conference poster-
presentation sessions. The workshop themes suggested so far are: Empowering the
Language Learner, and Codeswitching in Education. Other suggestions
are welcome.

We value both presentations of research and ideas for practical classroom work
on questions such as the following.

- How do we define identity, power, empowerment in the classroom situation?
- Are all classes in fact language classes?
- Who teaches and who learns?
- Do we focus on the past or future of the student?
- Are students allowed and encouraged to express their (new) identities in the
classroom?
- Whose language is accepted and used, and who decides?
- What is the connection between identity, language and medium?
- How do our working methods and materials affect the students’ rights and
opportunities to express their own identities?

Submissions should include the following:
1) name of presenter(s), affiliations(s), address, telephone and fax number,
email address; 2) abstract text (max. 200 words) with title + format (either
long or short paper/poster); 3) special equipment needed (overhead projectors
and black/whiteboards will be available for all sessions).

Please send your abstract via email to IPLC at tyska.umu.se. Deadline for
submission of abstracts is 10th February 2007. We hope to let you know if your
abstract has been accepted by 10th 20th February. A selection of the papers
presented will be printed in a conference volume.

Further information can be found on the conference website www.mos.umu.se/IPLC.
Conference organizers: Ingela Valfridsson, Anita Malmqvist and Patricia Poussa
(Modern Languages), Nils Granberg and Berit Lundgren (Swedish & Swedish Teacher-
Education), Umeå University