[EDLING:283] Learning Icelandic

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Fri Jul 6 16:03:28 UTC 2007

Iceland Review_Online

One vanilla yogurt ice cream, please

In Jonas' column last week he wrote about a US reader's plans to learn
Icelandic through talking to their dog.

The idea was to train the dog with commands in Icelandic as a way to get into
using the language outside of Iceland on a daily basis. Now while this idea can
be hailed for its originality it does not suit everyone – namely me.
Personally, I do not own a dog and to be honest I've always been a little
scared of canines. And there's nothing worse than being scared of your language
teacher.

So, I plan to continue using more traditional means to learn this ancient and
complex language.  Before I arrived in Iceland just over a year ago I got hold
of the sole copy of the Teach Yourself Icelandic book and CD from my local
bookstore.

Full story:
http://www.icelandreview.com/icelandreview/daily_life/?
cat_id=16539&ew_0_a_id=284875