[EDLING:285] Australia: Language, the missing word in our schools

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Fri Jul 6 16:10:40 UTC 2007

The Age

Language, the missing word in our schools

WALKING around Preston Market this weekend, I was overjoyed to hear not a word
of English spoken around me. Despite the fact that Melbourne is a linguistic
hotbed, Australia has an appalling record with languages.

Commentators such as the Australian Council of State School Organisations label
this "an international embarrassment and national disgrace". Influential groups
such as the Group of Eight Australian research-intensive universities call
for "a new attitude towards languages and the learning of languages in
Australia".

Full story:
http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/language-the-missing-word-in-our-
schools/2007/07/05/1183351371038.html