[EDLING:290] English Education in Korea: It's Time for Accountability

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Mon Jul 9 01:30:54 UTC 2007

The Seoul Times

English Education in Korea: It's Time for Accountability

By Rafael Sabio

Being an EFL instructor in South Korea for 3 years has really opened my eyes to
the blanket of ignorance that shrouds the ministry of education here in this
beautiful country. Is it not a wonder why over 10 billion USD was spent on
English education in South Korea in 2006, and yet there has been no noticeable
improvement in the English education system?

Moreover, is it not comprehensible that the average Korean's ability to
intelligibly handle the English language is mediocre at best (Competitiveness,
2006)? Despite the exorbitant amount of money and time spent learning English,
Koreans just aren't learning! Why is this? Has the Ministry of Education (MOE)
no idea of the cause? Perhaps I can shed some light on this appalling
phenomenon.

Full story:
http://theseoultimes.com/ST/?url=/ST/db/read.php?idx=5484