[EDLING:236] English Teaching Gets a Shake in Japan

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Mon Jun 18 15:33:45 UTC 2007

Ohmy News

English Teaching Gets a Shake in Japan

During my first weeks in Japan last year, I noticed that the four-letter
billboard "Nova" appeared nearly everywhere. I quickly learned from the
Japanese that Nova is Japan's largest English language school operator among
the Big Four (the three others are GEOS, AEON, ECC).

Founded in 1981 and well-known for being less expensive than other English
schools, Nova has grown rapidly since the 1990s with branches throughout the
country. Listed in 1996 on the Jasdaq Securities Exchange for startups, it now
boasts of the largest number of students in the range of 480,000 and 900
schools.

During my first weeks in Japan last year, I noticed that the four-letter
billboard "Nova" appeared nearly everywhere. I quickly learned from the
Japanese that Nova is Japan's largest English language school operator among
the Big Four (the three others are GEOS, AEON, ECC).

Founded in 1981 and well-known for being less expensive than other English
schools, Nova has grown rapidly since the 1990s with branches throughout the
country. Listed in 1996 on the Jasdaq Securities Exchange for startups, it now
boasts of the largest number of students in the range of 480,000 and 900
schools.

Full story:
http://english.ohmynews.com/articleview/article_view.asp?no=367136&rel_no=1