[EDLING:240] US: Arts education makes children stronger students

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Tue Jun 19 11:54:50 UTC 2007

The Shreveport Times

Arts education makes children stronger students

Senate Bill 299 mandates the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education to
develop a statewide arts curriculum by July 1, 2008, and provides over $1.5
million to train teachers, and develop, test, and implement the plan statewide.
That's a big investment.

Why should we spend our money on the arts in schools?

In the past few years, studies from brain science have documented ties between
language acquisition and specific movements involved in art making. The
relationship between thinking, language, and fine motor coordination suggests
that improvements in one area promote improvements in the other.

Visual arts have been found to facilitate development in reading and
comprehension, to develop fine motor skills necessary for writing, to develop
patience and sustained attention and to reduce impulsivity.

Full story:
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?
AID=/20070618/OPINION03/706170329/1058/OPINION03