[EDLING:7] US: DLI Beefs Up Language Skills

Francis M. Hult fmhult at DOLPHIN.UPENN.EDU
Sat Mar 31 12:01:27 UTC 2007

Military.com

DLI Beefs Up Language Skills

Basic language programs at DLIFLC fluctuate with changing international
situations and DOD's needs. In the post-9/11 era, the largest training program
is no longer Russian, but Arabic. What has really changed at the DOD level, and
thus at the institute itself, is the realization that the nation's armed forces
need linguists capable in many less commonly taught languages, Hanagan said.

"If someone had told me six years ago that we would be teaching languages such
as Urdu, Kurdish, Uzbek or Hindi, I would have told them they were crazy," said
Hanagan. A list of most-needed linguists is issued each year by DOD.

Full story:
http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,130693,00.html