Moscow to press Latvia to give Russian language official status

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Wed Nov 7 19:50:36 UTC 2007

RIA Novisti

Moscow to press Latvia to give Russian language official status

Moscow will keep up the pressure on Latvia to give the Russian language official status in the Baltic country, a Foreign Ministry official said on Tuesday.

"We believe that we are justified in pushing to have the status of the Russian language in Latvia raised to the level of a state language," said Alexander Chepurin, the head of the ministry's department on relations with the Russian diaspora.

The diplomat said Latvia, where native Russian speakers account for at least 30% of the population, is the only ex-Soviet state to treat Russian as a foreign language. Other states, while maintaining only one state language, have given Russian varying degrees of recognition.

Full story:

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20071106/86889684.html