How a few English words can help to keep our Welsh language alive

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Sun Nov 25 02:44:27 UTC 2007

icWales

How a few English words can help to keep our Welsh language alive

WELSH speakers slipping English into their speech should not feel guilty because it keeps the language alive, language campaigners and academics said yesterday.

Fears that Welsh is being watered down by English are unfounded, they said.

The comments coincided with the start of a major new research project into bilingualism in Wales.

Experts at Bangor University's new Economic and Social Research Council's Centre for Research on Bilingualism, said the fact that a language was constantly changing proved it was alive.

Centre director Professor Margaret Deuchar, who has just started a study into how bilingual people mix their languages, said, "There are people who are very purist.

"There is a taboo on swapping about in languages in teaching and in society.

Full story:

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/wales-news/2007/11/24/how-a-few-english-words-can-help-to-keep-our-welsh-language-alive-91466-20153846/