[EDLING:388] Fw: Ass't Prof Tenure Track at NAU

M van Naerssen mvnaerss at SAS.UPENN.EDU
Wed Sep 26 01:50:03 UTC 2007

See details in job description for contact information. I've pasted in the description from an attachment. I hope the information formats legibly.
Margaret van Naerssen
----- Original Message -----
From: Fredricka L. Stoller
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 6:25 PM
Subject: Ass't Prof Tenure Track at NAU

Good news. We have finally gotten official approval for our tenure track assistant professor position in TESL/Applied Linguistics at NAU. If you could help us spread the word, we'd be most appreciative. We seek a colleague whose primary research and teaching interests are in English as a second language learning and teaching, with an emphasis in oral proficiency preferred.  I've attached a more detailed description of the job.

Title:    Assistant Professor of English in Applied Linguistics

The applied linguistics faculty in the English Department at Northern Arizona University invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professor beginning in August, 2008. We seek a colleague whose primary research and teaching interests are in English as a second language learning and teaching, with an emphasis in oral proficiency preferred. Duties will include teaching courses in the MA-TESL program, the applied linguistics doctoral program, and the English undergraduate program. Duties will also include research, advising and mentoring, and department, university, and community service.

Minimum qualifications:

1.  doctorate in applied linguistics or related field, in hand at time of appointment

2.  experience teaching ESL/EFL

Preferred qualifications:

1.  clear, data-driven, empirical research agenda

2.  record of refereed publications in TESL/Applied Linguistics

3.  preferred areas of specialization include speaking and/or listening skill development, oral language assessment, pedagogically motivated analyses of spoken corpora, instructed SLA, computer-assisted language learning, or classroom-based research

4.  ability to teach undergraduate and graduate courses in TESL, listening/speaking methodology, introductory linguistics

5.  ability to teach other courses to meet program needs, and to develop new courses in area of specialization

6.  ability to mentor graduate students

7.  university teaching experience

8.  experience with materials preparation, curriculum development, program evaluation, and teacher training

9.  professional fluency in English

10. commitment to working with diverse populations

To apply:

Submit the following materials to Professor Joan Jamieson, Chair of Applied Linguistics Search Committee, English Department, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ 86011-6032, USA. Review of applications will begin October 22, 2007. This position will be open until filled or closed.

1.  letter of application & CV

2.  list of courses taught (titles, levels, and locations)

3.  sample publications

4.  complete set of graduate school transcripts

5.  three reference letters addressing qualifications for the position, sent directly to the search committee

About Applied Linguistics in Flagstaff:

The applied linguistics faculty members are active scholars, teachers and mentors, and professionals. Our group focuses on the learning/teaching of English as a second language and the description of spoken/written English. We engage in empirical and theoretical inquiry of language and language pedagogy, from both linguistic and cognitive orientations. Our primary teaching mission is to serve students in two graduate programs: M.A-TESL and Ph.D in Applied Linguistics. We also have a Program in Intensive English. We offer undergraduate courses for B.A. English and B.S. Ed English majors/minors, and Liberal Studies' requirements. Northern Arizona University is a 20,000-student institution with its main campus in Flagstaff, a four-season community of about 57,000 at the base of the majestic San Francisco Peaks. NAU's emphasis on undergraduate education is enhanced by its graduate programs and research as well as distance learning. The university is committed to a diverse and civil working and learning environment.

Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution. Minorities, women, persons with a disability, and veterans are especially encouraged to apply. Watch for our ad at NAU's Human Resources website:  http://hr.nau.edu/m/            Visit us at http://www.cal.nau.edu/english/tesl_default.asp