[EDLING:402] Re: Socioling texts for undergrads?

Bridget Goodman reisefrau at YAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 28 17:14:08 UTC 2007

Hi Daryl,

I don't have experience teaching sociolinguistics to
undergrads, but I found your question intriguing.

When I took sociolinguistics, we used McKay and
Hornberger's *Sociolinguistics and Language Teaching*.
That might be too advanced for your students, though.

Oxford University Press has a whole series of books on
Sociolinguistics. You might ask for an exam copy of
Peter Trudgill and Jenny Chesshire's *Sociolinguistics
Reader Volume 1:  Multilingualism and Variation.*

If that is not sufficient, you could put together a
bulkpack of sections of these two books plus key,
engaging readings by:

William Labov (AAVE)
Shirley Brice Heath (home and school practices)
Courtney Cazden
Jim Cummins (bilingualism)
Rebecca Freeman (bilingualism)
Sandra McKay
Braj Kachru (World Englishes)
A.C. Zentella (code switching)

Let me know if you need specific citations for any of
these authors.

Good luck.

Bridget Goodman
Ph.D. student, Educational Linguistics