[EDLING:404] RE: Socioling texts for undergrads?

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Fri Sep 28 20:00:48 UTC 2007

The best *general* introductory book I've found for sociolinguistics (after reviewing books like Wardaugh's and Holmes') is

Mesthrie, R., Swann, J., Deumert, A., & Leap, W.L.  (2000).  Introducing Sociolinguistics.  Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.

It's written in a rather engaging style with lots of examples from around the world, covering all the major topics in the field.  It also includes an excellent chapter on sociolinguistics and education.  McKay & Hornberger's Sociolinguistics and Language Teaching, of course, is an excellent reader for focusing specifically on educational issues.

FMH

--
Francis M. Hult, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor