Summer institue for language teachers

Noriko Ishihara ishi0029 at UMN.EDU
Wed Apr 23 02:35:23 UTC 2008

Application for Less-Commonly-Taught language teachers' stipends ($600) has been extended to April 28th. http://www.carla.umn.edu/institutes/scholarships.html
Apologies for cross-postings.

Language and Culture in Sync: Teaching the Pragmatics of a Second Language

July 28--August 1, 2008, CARLA/University of Minnesota

A truly daunting challenge for second language learners is to adjust their language use so that it is appropriate for different sociocultural contexts. How, for example, are learners supposed to address strangers, close friends, or people of higher social status in that culture?  While acquiring a speech community's discourse practices can take learners many years, research has shown that the process can be facilitated through explicit instruction.

This institute provides practical insights for teachers on how to enhance the learning of pragmatics. Participants will have hands-on opportunities to develop instructional materials for the classroom, or research pragmatics and language learning.

This institute is designed for K-16 ESL and foreign language teachers, material developers, curriculum coordinators, teacher educators, administrators, and researchers.

Testimonials from former participants:

Becoming aware and excited about new aspects of teaching are an important part of our continual development as instructors. The professional quality of the workshop, the ideas and experiences of other participants will definitely result in benefits for my students (2006 participant).

Pragmatics positively encourages successful communication, and successful communication means getting what we want. Isn't that what teachers need to motivate and encourage students and to raise all student's achievements? We need this kind of training! (2007 participant)

Institute resources include:

Ishihara, N., & Cohen, A. D. Teaching and learning pragmatics: Where language and culture meet. Teachers' guide for teaching and assessing L2 pragmatics.

Presenters

Noriko Ishihara, PhD, Hosei University, Japan

Andrew D. Cohen, PhD, University of Minnesota

More information about this institutes is available on the CARLA website at: http://www.carla.umn.edu/institutes/2008/pragmatics.pdf.

Early bird registration: http://www.carla.umn.edu/institutes/register.html.

LCTL teachers' stipends (due 4/26): http://www.carla.umn.edu/institutes/scholarships.html