Tanzania shall not be an island linguistically

Francis Hult francis.hult at UTSA.EDU
Thu Aug 7 18:06:49 UTC 2008

Daily News Online

Tanzania shall not be an island linguistically

Several arguments have been advanced in favour of Kiswahili. Some of them have taken the following tone: If the Germans, French, Spaniards, etc use their own languages as mediums of instruction, why not us? Don't we have our own national language? Are we not proud of it? Why should we continue to burden our children with a difficult foreign language in which they are not competent after all?

I beg to part company with these contentions, because I believe that patriotic though they (appear) sound they are nevertheless fallacious. They are fallacious because they ignore certain fundamental principles of teaching and learning.

Full story:

http://dailynews.habarileo.co.tz/business/index.php?id=6387