Apply for one of 3 positions in Ethnic Studies at UCSD

Nancy Hornberger nancyh at GSE.UPENN.EDU
Sun Aug 31 20:37:49 UTC 2008

The Department of Ethnic Studies at UC San Diego invites applications
for faculty positions that will form a possible appointment cluster of
one tenure-track and two tenured professors, beginning fall 2009,
pending budget approval.  We welcome applications from scholars whose
work provide critical perspectives on racialized groups in a global and
transnational, or, more broadly diasporic context.  We particularly
welcome expertise in cultural, educational equity, environmental,
feminist, immigration, indigenous, or legal studies.

Applicants in any social science or humanities discipline are encouraged
to apply.  Applicants must provide evidence of an original and
generative research agenda, commitment to teaching, and ability to work
in an interdisciplinary ethnic studies context.  The Full Professor
position will have teaching responsibilities in association with the
Center for Research on Educational Equity and Teaching Excellence
(CREATE, http://create.ucsd.edu/).  PhD in hand by 07/01/09
for Assistant level position.

The Department of Ethnic Studies at UCSD focuses on the fundamental
theoretical and political questions regarding the critical
conceptualization of social categories, particularly race, indigeneity,
culture, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, class, and nation.  We are
committed to rethinking these issues in a comparative, relational, and
multidisciplinary fashion in order to interrogate questions of power and
inequality.  We provide alternative epistemologies for the study of
racialized and indigenous populations in the U.S. and globally in a way
that produces new knowledge for the academy and the broader public.  The
Department of Ethnic Studies is a key center of empirical and
theoretically-based research, outstanding teaching, and creative
collaborations that promote social justice.  UCSD is uniquely situated
at a nexus; where the global south and north meet at the U.S.-Mexico
border, and at the threshold of the Pacific Rim.

Applications accepted electronically at: http://ethnicstudies.ucsd.edu
under "Faculty Recruitment" link.  Submit electronic version of:
application letter, resume, selected sample publications of no more than
50 pages, and names and addresses of three referees.  Applicants are
also invited to submit summary of leadership efforts, especially those
that contribute to diversity.  We will begin reviewing applications on
October 15, 2008, but will continue to accept applications until
positions are filled for start date of 07/01/09.

(UCSD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong
institutional commitment to excellence through diversity.)

Please Login or click Sign Up link above to start the application process.

SHORTER VERSION FOR ADS (can cut further):

The Department of Ethnic Studies at UC San Diego invites applications
for faculty positions that will form a possible appointment cluster of
one tenure-track and two tenured professors, beginning fall 2009,
pending budget approval.  The department specializes in analyses of
race, ethnicity, gender, and sexuality within a comparative and
relational perspective and transnational context.

We welcome applications from scholars whose work provides critical