How languages boost employability

Francis Hult francis.hult at utsa.edu
Mon Dec 1 22:43:05 UTC 2008

Training Zone

The watercooler: How languages boost employability

Young people could bolster their employability and open up opportunities at home and abroad by learning a second language at GCSE level and beyond.

There are serious mismatches between the expectations of young people and employers about what makes school leavers and graduates more employable.

After graduating with a 2:1 in economics from Manchester University I joined the millions fighting to get a foot on the career ladder. To my surprise, employers paid little attention to my degree. Employers were far more interested in my language skills and my cultural and personal experiences gained from my gap year working and living abroad.

Full story:

http://www.trainingzone.co.uk/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=191560&d=680&h=608&f=626&dateformat=%25e-%25h-%25y